Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tribute to Mom on her Birthday

Today would have marked mom's 53rd birthday...why isn't she here?


I've kept myself busy - between work all day and painting this evening - which has been nice, but it's still pretty sad. I thought of two typical mom stories earlier today that I wanted to share.

Mom was notorious for getting a gift, then letting it sit for-ever. Literally. I cannot count the number of time I would buy her an Ann Taylor or Talbots gift card and long about August, she would end up giving it to me. Mom was extremely generous but this was almost a prank! Several years ago, mom complained she couldn't find clothes to fit (typical for a 5'5" 110 lb. female!) so I found the cutest capri outfit with a matching top at Talbot's. I spent entirely too much money on it, but I just KNEW she would not only love it but it would look precious on her. Well...I went upstairs at Christmas that year (9 months later) and found the damn outfit STILL in the box, under her desk. I just laughed.

My favorite birthday story of mom happened three years ago...almost to the day. Dad wanted to throw a 50th birthday party for mom but she kept telling him he better not. For those of you who know mom, she was very insistent. (LOL) Long story short, I got involved and totally encouraged (and planned!) a SURPRISE party for mom with 30 of her closest friends at Auntie Skinner's in Jefferson. I ingeniously had guests RSVP to my cell phone number but one person (who I still don’t know!) called and left a voicemail on mom and dad’s house phone, and of course, mom intercepted it. Of course, hell broke loose, and dad had to call all their friends to tell them the party was cancelled.

Mom…I miss your comical antics!

It’s so hard to believe she is not here to celebrate her 53rd birthday. Regardless, I love and miss you mom…I would do anything to have you back with us.

Love,

Miss Scarlett

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful letter Carmen. I can sooo see her flippin out on the party haha..I can't say I know how you are feeling on this her bday.. I am blessed to still have Tamsie with me..and Kim was the baby of their running buddies. I do know from the few talks we had once reconnected here how proud she was of yal and how she was soo excited you were expecting. Seeing baby Alie through pictures is such a awesome blessing since you really didn't know me .. our parents knew each other and your mom was around when I was a kiddo .. so may I say thank you.. for sharing your life with those of us who loved your mother so <3 Kelly Whitis Brewton

    ReplyDelete