Monday, February 4, 2013

"Labor of Love"

Before Allie was born, Ben and I took a couple classes through Woman's Hospital and one was titled "Labor of Love." I made a mistake when signing up for the class; this one was geared more towards "natural" childbirth - i.e. no epidural - than the class I failed to register for. Reagan's birth was close to being a "Labor of Love!"

I went in to the hospital for Reagan at 5 am, pitosin was started at 5:30 am. When I was in labor with Allie, the nurse came in and "checked" me every couple hours, but I got the epidural earlier on (after less than an hour on pitosin). I dilated fast with Allie (4 hours or so ) but pushed for almost 4 hours (off and on). I was completely prepared for an equally intense labor with Reagan.

Last Monday was SO different. I was never in pain while on pitosin.  Sure, I could feel my body contract, but it was just an uncomfortable feeling.  My family came in and out, I carried on multiple conversations, I even second guessed myself when I got the epidural. It was EASY!

Around 11 am, I asked my nurse when she would "check" me and she said after I got the epidural.  When she walked out of the room, I looked at Ben and told him I really didn't hurt bad enough to get it...should I hold off?  Should I get it?  I was looking for his opinion and guidance on the situation, but in true Ben fashion he of course deferred to me.  I talked myself into getting it, so around 11:30 am, the anesthesiologist and anesthesia tech came in, administered the line, and I was done by 11:50ish.  The nurse said she was going to run to lunch and when she came back she would drain my bladder and "check" me to see what my progress was. 

After she left (around noon), an interim nurse came in to see how I was holding up and I made a face like I could feel pressure.  She checked me and to our surprise I was 10 cm.  You would have thought an emergency was going on in our room.  The nurse picked up the phone, called Dr. Gautreau, called the nurses station for all the delivery supplies, the nurse for the baby came in...all the people and "objects" descended on the room in a matter of minutes.  Thank goodness I got that epidural when I did!

At 12:31 pm, after a laughable 4 pushes, Reagan Charlotte joined our sweet little family of 4. 

Happy 1-week birthday Princess Reagan!

No comments:

Post a Comment