Thursday, February 21, 2013

Formula tip

I'm all about stealing tips from friends so its my turn to share one!

For the first two weeks of Reagan's life I breastfed and she got 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula (Similac Sensitive) at each feeding. Then... the gas set in. :/ Getting 1/2 breast milk meant she pooped literally 12 times per day. Poor kid, she couldn't burp without shooting out poo.

Since then, I've struggled to figure out what's going on with my mild-mannered princess.

I quit pumping (perhaps I was the problem?) and switched her to Similac Alimentum on Sunday, February 10. Her gas was "better" at first but the poor baby couldn't poo to save her life. Pooping was like an all day process. She was miserable. The final straw was Monday morning at 2:30 when I took off her diaper to change her and saw poop the size of a golf ball come out of rectum - I realized I had to do something.

Tuesday I researched formulas all morning and saw amazing reviews on Enfamil Newborn. Over half the reviews came from parents who experienced the exact same thing we were - gassy newborn, trouble going number two, etc. I ran out and bought some, praying it would work.

Today, day number 3, has been amazing. Reagan has WAY less gas, can toot when she needs to and has even pooped twice so far. One thing I find pretty cool is the fact that her poo consistency is "seedy" just as it is when breast milk is involved. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I've heard this seedy consistency shows that the baby is getting all the nutrients it needs which doesn't make me feel quite as bad for throwing in the towel as early as I did.

Just a little tip for anyone else experiencing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment