Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was - using my normal word - "bittersweet" this year. We had my family lunch at noon followed by a trip to Shreveport to see Ben's family at 3.

My mom's brother, Steve, and his family normally do not celebrate holidays with us (they go to Houston with his wife's family) but they decided to stay in town this year which was great. Everyone was of course excited to see Allie Parker so she took some of the sappiness out of lunch. Uncle Steve said the blessing and of course there wasn't a dry face in the room, then we ate. Allie enjoyed kicking around in the living room and soaked up all the attention she received from her aunts, uncles and cousins...and of course Papa B and Meme and Pepaw!

After lunch we headed to Shreveport to see Ben's family. Nanny was so excited to see Allie but given my little AP girl doesn't like to sit still her time on nanny's lap was cut short. Regardless they both enjoyed seeing one another.

Thanksgiving night Robert and Pam took the baby home and Ben and I went and visited with dad and watched football.

Like I mentioned above our first holiday without mom was bittersweet. Mom not being here just makes things so odd - it's like our leader has left us, and I've finally understood that the leader isn't coming back. I blogged last week about waiting for her to come through the back door from work and the same thoughts were going through my head today as we were packing up to leave town. "Mom will be here soon to tell us bye" almost left my mouth, no kidding. So maybe I've just made myself realize I'm truly not believing she really is gone. I don't know. I am extremely thankful for the 27 years and 10 months I was able to spend with the world's greatest mother who wanted nothing but the absolute best for me, hands down.

One thing I do know is just how hectic life is trying to see everyone with a baby. Naps are a must for Allie and unfortunately she didn't get many "quality" ones in this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment