Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hangin' with the fam

Ben, Allie and I made the trek to Marshall Monday afternoon once Ben returned from duck hunting in Lake Charles.  I was so ready to get home and see my dad.

I drove and let Ben and Allie snooze in the back which was rather peaceful.  The thoughts that bounce through your head on a 4 1/2 hour quiet and dark car ride are often interesting.  After the sun went down, the song "All In" by Lifehouse (I think?) came on and I started to cry.  This is our first holiday without mom so I started thinking about the things that would be different - no cornbread dressing, no running to Wal-Mart at the last minute while mom stresses out about all the cooking she has to do, no shopping at Pottery Tent for fun Christmas items, no late nights on the back deck think tank listening to mom fill me in on the last 6 months of politics...

Mom was a character and could often times make life so difficult.  I miss her so very much and as I sit here and write this I am staring at the back door waiting for her to walk in from work.  She is still everywhere in the house from her decorations in the living room to her clothes and makeup in the same spot she left them the morning of May 12th.  I am so proud of the way my dad has kept up the house and continues to keep her memory alive here with all the pictures. 

Since mom's death dad keeps a funeral program with her beautiful picture on the kitchen island and added Allie's newborn announcement.  Such a "bittersweet" reminder that while one life has been taken, another little sunshine is in our presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment