Sunday, December 2, 2012

Another "nesting" project!

We moved in to this old house, built in 1954, in November 2008.  We needed SO many things it was unbelievable, so we decided we would buy furniture, decorations, etc. as we found what we wanted and could afford it.

In October 2009 we bought an awesome kitchen table and 8 chairs from Christian Street Furniture here in Baton Rouge.  After the purchase, I didn't touch the table or dining room.  In fact, the original dining room changed after Allie turned 1.  Like all households with children, you "make do" during specific periods.  At one point, before the playroom was even thought of, we rearranged the front part of the house and our dining room became a playroom (see below pictures from 2010).  Several months ago we bought a chandelier for the "new" dining room, and again, I haven't touched the room since.





Last week (thanks to Pinterest!) I found a blog of an interior decorator in Dallas - Emily Hewitt.  I've never actually hired an interior decorator - I've only found pictures of things I like in magazines, online, etc.  I had NO idea how addicted to her blog I would become...she is to thank for our bedroom project, some of the nursery and now...the dining room!

It is fun when you find someone with the same tastes and interests as you.  I am not one for clutter, especially with kids.  Her simplistic taste is what makes me love her ideas.  I pieced together ideas from two of her designs.






...and now for my pics.  Did I mention I am all about "decorating on a dime?"

Yesterday I went to World Market and Pier One and found everything Emily used (for the most part) in her designs.  I messaged her earlier in the week to ask where she purchased a mirror I love, but as part of her contractual agreement with her clients, she cannot reveal.  But that doesn't mean I can't tell you where I found all the items I used!  Check out the below original prices, then the next line to see how much I saved. 

ORIGINAL PRICES:
Plates - World Market - $5 each
Bowls - World Market - $6 each
Runner - World Market - $25
Napkins - Pier One - $5 each
Napkin Rings - Pier One - $6 each
Chargers - Pier One - $4 each

Today, I ran in to Wal-Mart simply for milk (story of my life) and found not only silver chargers, BUT the actual plates I envisioned for this project, for....get ready...a FRACTION of the price...I was so proud of myself.

NEW PRICES:
Plates - Wal-Mart - $2 each each
Bowls - Wal-Mart - $1.50 each
Chargers - Wal-Mart - $0.97 each








 
 
After Christmas the reindeer and small trees will be replaced with a large silver Mercury glass vase of hydrangeas and two silver Mercury glass tea lights, all from World Market.
 
My next project is to finish this hutch on the opposite wall of the dining room table.  I found this awesome mirror at World Market today for $50 (Hobby Lobby can't even touch that price), made the hydrangea bouquet, and bought the small vase.  I had the plate rack, which I plan to put our China plates on (they are white with a silver band) after the holidays.  I need to move the pine cones and add a tall silver lamp and a silver picture frame, hang the mirror (and obviously wipe Allie's hand print off!), then I should be close to being done.  I want to find two leather chairs to add to this room, but those will have to come after Christmas.
 

 
 
Enough of my rant - enjoy!

 
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment