Monday, November 19, 2012

WARNING: Dehydration!

To all my pregnant friends out there - read this and remember it.

Did you know you need to drink roughly 1 gallon of water per day when pregnant?  I bet you didn't...I didn't either!

Saturday morning when I woke up, I didn't feel well.  My stomach was cramping, almost like a stomach virus.  I took Allie to get the flu mist Friday afternoon and just knew some germy, snot-head rubbed up against me in the waiting room.  All thoughts were running through my head.

Anyway, as the day went on, the pain in my stomach got worse and worse.  By 1 pm, I was on the couch (reminder - it was just Allie and me...Ben was at the game) balled up in the fetal position, in tears.  Something was not right.  I called the assessment center at Woman's and in order to be admitted I had to call my doctor's office.  I called the after hours line and they put me in touch with the doctor on call (Dr. Chauvin) who said to come in.  My next call was to Ben, who I know thought I was a total nut, until he walked in the door 30 minutes later and I could barely move. 

When we got to the assessment center, I was admitted...I was glad to know I wasn't crazy!

So long story short, I learned something new.  When you are pregnant and dehydrated, your uterus contracts.  I was in fact having contractions, and luckily the baby was not on its way.  Five hours and 2 units of IV fluid later, I was discharged. 

Just note to self to all my friends out there in my boat - full-time demanding job, another kiddo at home, 8 million things going on...make sure you stay hydrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment