Monday, January 31, 2011

What are the chances?

Last night Ben and I watched a 20/20 from Friday night about homeless teenagers in the US.  Did you know 2 million teenagers are homeless?  How sad is that fact?  The show broke my heart to see children who were either abandoned by their parents OR felt safer leaving their parents home to live on the streets.

At the end of the episode, Barbara Walters gave viewers a glimpse of next Friday's episode titled "What Saved Barbara Walters Life."  I am a Barbara Walters fan and for those of you who do not know, she underwent open heart surgery 6 or so months ago and it literally saved her life. 

After my mom died unexpectedly from heart disease last May, it's amazing how much I try and take care of my body now.  The things I never knew about heart attacks in women and how they manifest...I now watch what I eat, exercise frequently and get a much sleep as possible (easier said than done with a 7 1/2 month old!). 

I was stunned when the preview started then I started to cry...what are the chances that something like this would come on?  Heart disease, heart attacks, open heart surgery...they all "hit home" now especially since my mom could still be here if she had paid attention to the warning signs.

My mother is no longer here on this earth and I feel as if this preview came on last night for a reason.  For those of you out there reading this please do me a favor and tune into Barbara's special on ABC Friday night.  As hard as it will be, I will watch.  As Barbara says, "it could save yourself or a loved one...it's no big deal... just a matter of life and death." 

For a preview, click here.

Love,
Carmen

2 comments:

  1. Carmen I too watched that episode on the kids which totally broke my heart and made me want more than ever to get back in school to be a couselor.I plan to focus on teen addicts/alcoholics..but this will be alot of those teens at risk. Anyway I saw the lead in.. I know Kim is thrilled as all get out to go OH she sees ..she gets it...she can spare her babygirl that loss by doing and paying attention.. bless your heart. I plan to watch as well.. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be watching for sure Carmen. I know that your mom watches over your whole family and I feel that this is just proof of that.
    Love ya girl,
    Jamie Payne

    ReplyDelete